I know this year is difficult for all of us. We miss our families, our friends, and we will need to adjust and be inventive. Although I understand video chatting is not perfect at least we have that medium so we can see the smiles on our families faces.
The one thing I miss most is my grandma. Following Sweet Dreams Home is a tribute to all she taught me. My grandma baked something sweet every single day. You always knew she would have a treat waiting for you when you arrived at her home.
Below is my grandma's recipe for Pie Dough. Everyone loves homemade pie, so hopefully this inspires you to make a holiday pie that will warm your heart.
Single Pie Crust (from my grandma Mary)
1 cup sifted enriched flour
4 to 6 Tablespoons Lard
¾ teaspoon salt
2 to 4 Tablespoons cold water
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cut lard into flour until crumbs are about the size of a small pea.
- Using as little water as possible, add cold water, a little at a time, mixing quickly and evenly through flour with a fork until dough just holds in a ball.
- Roll dough out until it’s about 1/8 inch in thickness.
- Line pie pan.
- Add your pie filling.
- Bake according to direction in pie recipe.
- For baked crust prior to adding filling, prick bottom of shell with fork before baking.
- Bake crust at 450°for 8 to 10 minutes.
This is the recipe my grandma always used. She made the most delicious apple pies because her apples were picked from her tree and the pie was baked with love. She also used a lot of cinnamon. The extra dough she rolled out and cut into thick strips. Sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on top and bake them. They were little treats I love having.
From my home to yours, Happy Holiday’s